Saturday 18 August 2018

eLearning 101: Lesson 6 – storyboarding, creating a blueprint for an elearning course

I was always mystified a bit by storyboarding – it seemed like something of an art-form. This lesson laid out what you needed to do.

Identify the stakeholders and participants, identify their roles – this will be the audience for the storyboard and will help to determine the format of your storyboard and the detail of the content.

Instructional Design – what learning activities are needed and how will they be sequenced?

Format – various formats could be used eg MS Word, Ms Powerpoint, authoring software. Whichever tool is used it must be made available to the stakeholders. Articulate offer a number of templates that could be used to create a storyboard.

Building your Storyboard - Items that should be included: navigation, links, media, text, interactions, on-screen elements, programming notes. Consider including a visual map to represent complex branching or dynamic content. Use reference labels to map the storyboard slide to an actual storyline slide.

Using your Storyboard – the storyboard should act as a living document, and followed during the lifetime of the project. It can act as a place to consolidate feedback and be used as a review checkpoint.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So this is something that I am really bad at. At the start of our elearning project we were quite meticulous in creating scripts (which in essence were storyboards). During our upgrade phase these were really useful as a starting point for the upgrade. Since then I have been a bit lax. Sometimes I create lots of scribbled “boards” in a notebook to help me to work out how I am going to do something. However since I have no audience, other than myself, there doesn’t feel like any incentive to do anything extravagant.

I wonder if investigating the proposed templates will help me to find something that will suit my style and way of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment